Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How to become a bartender in Hollywood?

I am really new to the Hollywood area, and I am in dire need of a bartending job. First, I have experience, about 6 months of it. Prior to that I waited tables for a semester. I hear that most the jobs in the area go to women, but I am not above working at a gay bar, even though I am straight. I consider myself to be attractive and like to engage in conversations with depth. I live in the hills, while attending acting classes, making a day time job really hard. I welcome all advice. ThanksHow to become a bartender in Hollywood?I spent 4 years living in Hollywood. The answer to your question is to make friends. No matter what kind of job you want, the easiest way to get in is a referral. If you make friends with people, you're also building up your references. When I was in Hollywood I had a DJ gig at a club... because of my reference 3 of my friends who had no business getting that kind of job also became DJs there and did a fine job. It's not what you know... it's who you know. If you really need to get in without references just make a long list of places to work, then go to each of them and ask to speak with the manager... if the manager is busy or not there ask when a good time to come back would be... get your resume into the managers hands. If you get enough resumes out, are dilligent about follow-up calls, and have a good attitude one of the places you apply might see something in you.How to become a bartender in Hollywood?Gregory, Gregory, Gregory....



Could you pick a worse profession in the world to try to ply in Hollywood?



First, On the Bartender gig: What's in a Rum %26amp; Coke ? Ta Da!

You just found that you are as qualified as anyone else. ( I did it for 14 years).



Second, On the Server gig. An Actor that waits tables....In Hollywood! .... I have never heard that one before ! (I did it for 10 years).



On the Gay gig... In Hollywood, Who cares? The best way to get a job in a Gay bar in the West Hollywood area is to have sex with the owner - and that will last you til the next weekend. Nope, my experience with the bartending thing is STAND IN LINE! There are more acting gigs in the town than there are Bartending.



Try this, If you can, contact places like Sunset Parking. The have Valet gigs all the time in the Hollywood area. The work is hard but the tips are good. If you have the opportunity, try a few of the hotels doing the same thing or even Doorman/Porter. Those are fairly decent tipping jobs.



If you have a car, try away from the Hollywood area. Some of the restaurants in the Burbank, Los Feliz, North Hollywood area need help around this time of year because Holiday parties are coming up. Also, try college area places like Hof's Hut. They aren't so much on the experience thing as they are in the personality department.



Messenger work / Delivery. Once again, you'll need a car. But it can be lucrative.



Inventory. They always do this work at night. It only pays OK, but it's steady. Same for In-N-Out, They only start you at $9-10 per hour, but they will work around most schedules.



Sign Spinners. They pay from $12-16/hour. Usually just weekends.



If you say that you are that attractive, most retail in Beverly Hills that specialize in Boutique sales will hire at hourly + commission. Depending on the merchandise, that could be a nice comission.



I worked for 10 years in television production in Burbank. I was good friends with the Director of Personel at Warner Brothers/Burbank Studios. His office door was the only door that you did not have to go through security to get into the studio.



He told me that on a DAILY basis, GREAT looking Guys %26amp; Gals would come into the offices, ask to speak with him and say "I would do ANYTHING to get a job on this lot!"



That my friend, is what I all COMPETITION!



Good Luck,



James in San DiegoHow to become a bartender in Hollywood?You gotta get out of hollywood.. try the valley, like Studio City area or Burbank. there are TONS of restaurants in those areas. Or the Westside.. Brentwood %26amp; Santa Monica have lots of good restaurants... I know it sounds corny, but I'd try the corp restaurants first like PF Changs or Cheesecake Factory..

No comments:

Post a Comment